Here we are again, taking our favorite oven and crock pot recipes and converting them to Instant Pot.. where they can be done in just moments! yay!!
Today is a classic, Chicken Parmesan-Instant Pot Conversion
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning you can shop through them and support Love and Scribbles at no extra cost to you, Thanks!
Set your Instant Pot (IP) to saute. Today I am using my 6 qrt duo.
Once the IP is hot, throw in your chopped mushrooms and onions. Saute until onions are translucent and mushrooms are tender.
Meanwhile, take the flour, garlic powder, basil, oregano, parsley and place in a shallow dish or better yet a gallon size ziploc baggie. Mix together, then dip the chicken in to coat both sides. This is where a baggie comes in really handy.. just throw the chicken in and shake until completely coated. And you don’t have to dirty another dish!!
At this point I wish I could say this whole thing can be done in the IP.. and I suppose you could just throw the chicken in. But I don’ t think you will get the best possible flavor that way. What I suggest is, heat a frying pan on the stove, throw in a tsp or so of olive oil and brown both sides, this should only take 2-3 minutes each side. Browning it really adds depth to the flavors and texture of your finished dish.
While the chicken is browning, go ahead and throw the marina sauce, chicken broth, red wine, garlic, half of the Parmesan cheese and a dash of salt and pepper into your pot. Mix everything together.
Put browned chicken into the IP and cover the chicken with that sauce. then close the lid, set to seal and set on manual (high pressure) for 11 minutes.
While this is coming to pressure (about 10 minutes) and cooks you can boil water and cook up some spaghetti noodles for serving. My family loves garlic bread, any chance we get so I’ll probably stick some in the oven to broil for a couple of minutes too!
When cooking is completed, let it Naturally Pressure Release (NPR) at least 5 minutes. * It only took 15 to completely NPR. But if you are a little more pressed for time, go ahead and release the remaining pressure after 5 minutes.
Almost Ready For Dinner
Now just plate up your noodles, the sauce and chicken.
Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese and enjoy!
Happy Instant Potting 🙂
Have a favorite oven or crock pot recipe you would like converted to IP? Leave a comment or message me with the recipe and I’ll help you figure out the timing!
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||18 minutes|
|Passive Time||15 minutes|
- 2 tsp olive oil divided
- 1/2 - 1 small onion I have some family members who aren't fans so I only do a 1/2 of one and chop pretty small.
- 1-2 cups mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 TBSP crushed garlic
- 20 oz marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set IP to saute Throw in chopped onion and mushrooms. Saute until onions are translucent and mushrooms are tender.
- Meanwhile take flour, garlic powder, basil, oregano, and parsley and mix in a gallon size baggie! ( can you tell I hate dishes? but you can always do this in a shallow dish too.)
- place the chicken into the baggie and gently shake until chicken is coated.
- Now here is where I would like to tell you to just brown the chicken in the Instant Pot.. however when I try to do this, it never ends well.. the coating sticks to the bottom and then begins to burn... I find it's just easier to get a frying pan out and brown the chicken a couple minutes each side.
- While chicken is browning on the stove you can start adding the parmesan cheese, crushed garlic, marinara sauce, chicken broth, and red wine to the IP. Mix it up and add just a pinch of pepper and salt, remember you can always add more later.
- transfer the chicken to the IP and cover it with the sauce.
- secure the lid and make sure the valve is set to seal. Set to manual for 11 minutes. While this comes to pressure (took about 10 minutes) and cooks, you can prepare some noodles and bread.. or whatever you want to serve with it.
- When cooking is done, let it Naturally Pressure Release (NPR) for 5 - 10 minutes. Smother it in mozzarella cheese and more Parmesan before serving. Serve with Pasta and bread!
Need groceries quick so you can make this?? Try Walmart Grocery Pick Up
Don’t have an Instant Pot of your own yet?
read all about mine here…